The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna is looking for University Assistant (prae doc) at the Institute for Natural Sciences and Technology in the Art with focus on the investigation of modern colorants in different types of materials. This position is offered for 30 hours per week starting at the earliest possible date for a period of three years.
Areas of responsibility
- Investigation of modern colorants (20th/21st century) including their ageing/degradation phenomena on archive objects, plastics, prints, etc.
- Application of multi-analytical approaches such as surface sensitive methods (MeV-SIMS, FTIR, HSI, UV-Vis, etc. in combination with Py-GC/MS)
- Focus on developing an analytical protocol using direct analysis on micro-samples taken from the objects
- Data analysis and multivariate methods/statistics of collected data
- Candidate is expected to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12 months
- Writing of scientific publications and presentations at conferences
Conditions of employment
- Completed university or college degree appropriate to the position (master or diploma in organic chemistry / material sciences)
- Experience in analytical methods such as Mass Spectrometry based techniques (SIMS, Py-GC/MS) as well as FTIR, HSI, UV-Vis
- Preparation of and participation in multi-day measurements abroad (e.g. particle accelerator)
- Good English, German and IT expertise (basic programming skills in e.g. Matlab, R, Python and Origin Pro software)
- Expertise in the field of cultural heritage is of advantage
- Willingness to undergo further training in the areas of responsibility
- Gender and discrimination-critical competence
The monthly gross salary according to the collective agreement for university employees in salary group B1 currently amounts to Euro 2.294,- for 30 hours per week.
Interested applicants apply by 15th September 2022 via this link.
Learn more about the vacancy here.