What the role is:
The Heritage Conservation Centre (HCC), an institution under the NHB, plays a leading role in heritage conservation and collections management in Singapore. It is the repository and conservation facility for the management and preservation of Singapore’s National Collection under the custody of NHB. HCC supports more than 10 museums, heritage and visual arts institutions under the umbrella of NHB. HCC Conservation Services department is constituted by a team of over 30 conservators and comprises 5 specializations: objects conservation, paintings conservation, paper conservation, textiles conservation and conservation science. HCC is looking for candidates for the position of Conservator (Textiles) to contribute to the organisation’s mission to manage, care for and facilitate access to the National Collection by performing effective and quality preservation and conservation care supported by research of the NC. Promoting awareness of heritage preservation and conservation to the public and special interest groups is also an important part of the job.
What you will be working on:
- Undertake examination, conservation assessment, documentation, treatments and framing /mounting for artworks and artefacts from the National Collection according to HCC and NHB procedures, instructions and guidelines for exhibitions, loans and events at the institutions of NHB and partners.
- Manage exhibition and gallery development projects as liaison officer to cover conservation related as well as administrative aspects of exhibition preparations.
- Plan, manage, and provide support for preventive conservation projects/activities directly, or indirectly relating to collections in storage, on loan, on display, and including environment, pest and mould, and material testing.
- Perform relevant conservation analysis and test in contributing to the preservation and conservation knowledge of the NHB collections.
- Carry out conservation study or research projects including publication and represent HCC by presenting work done at international conference.
- Provide close supervision and training on the job to subordinates and others as required.
- Lead or participate in HCC’s and NHB’s outreach and education activities to promote awareness of conservation.
- Assist in administrative duties where assigned.
What we are looking for:
- Background in Textile Conservation from a recognised training institution. An equivalent proven experience will be considered.
- Preferably 6-8 years of relevant practical experience in textiles and/or costume conservation. Institutional/public experience is preferred. Additional work experience in costume mounting is advantageous.
- Able to carry out comprehensive and complex treatments with high degree of manual dexterity and aesthetic sensitivity.
- Able to develop and contribute to heritage science and conservation research in line with HCC’s research strategy around sustainability.
- Keeping up to date with current conservation development through self-directed learning and training.
- Familiarity and experience with regional and local art history, modern and contemporary art, handling, and treatment of artefacts in Southeast Asia and Asia.
- Possess a wide experience in handling multi-cultural materials with sensitivity to its significance and demonstrate relevance in making sound contextual judgements in applying conservation principles and practices.
- Possess proficient verbal and written communication skills coupled with high emotional quotient.
- A team player who can work independently, has a positive attitude and ability to handle stress, multi-task, organise and prioritise work.
*All applicants will be notified whether they are shortlisted within 4 weeks of the closing date of this job posting.
Apply for the vacancy via this link.