The following position at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna is advertised:
in accordance with § 98 Austrian University Act 2002 (Universitätsgesetz 2002) for the subject Conservation and Restauration with a focus on Object – Wood at the Institute for Conservation-Restoration at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. This professorship is offered full time for a period of five years starting 1 October 2022.
The training at the Institute for Conservation – Restoration combines theory and practice in close cooperation with the artistic as well as cultural and natural science institutes of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna and with a view to the strategic priorities of the Academy in the field of sustainability and decolonization.
Applicants are expected to have expertise in the conservation-restoration of mounted and unmounted wooden objects. This also includes the treatment of historical ensembles as well as contemporary room furnishings in the field of historic preservation.
Conditions of employment:
• a completed university degree in conservation-restauration with doctorate or proof of equivalent scientific aptitude
• outstanding artistic, practical and theoretical qualification for the subject to be filled
• leadership experience and management skills: planning, organizational, and management skills to be demonstrated, for example, through the management of major conservation and research projects
• experience at an international level in practical conservation-restoration, in organizing congresses and workshops, and in managing research projects and soliciting external funding
• experience in research-related collaboration with museums and collections
• several years of teaching experience, preferably in higher education
• ability to work in an interdisciplinary manner, to develop solutions together and by division of labor, as well as teamwork, conflict resolution, and communication skills
• willingness to take on organizational tasks, both in academic self-administration (e.g. in committees) and in matters of study operations
• willingness to choose Vienna as the center of your life
• excellent knowledge of German and very good knowledge of English; lectures are held in German.
• gender-, discrimination-critical and intercultural competence and the ability to deal with the applicable regulations and objectives regarding equality and anti-discrimination at the Academy.
• broad knowledge of artistic materials and historical technologies
• reflective, mediating and critical competence in the fields of methodology and documentation
• further development of the subject area object – focus on wood towards conservation-restoration of cultural goods in monument preservation
• experience in interdisciplinary cooperation in the context of monument conservation projects
• ability and knowledge to develop innovative approaches in the conservation-restoration of cultural goods made of wood in the preservation of monuments and implementation of new innovative and forward-looking methods in teaching and research
• willingness and ability to take on organizational tasks
The teaching commitment includes individual artistic lessons of 16 hours per week in the central artistic subject Conservation-Restoration.
The monthly gross salary according to the collective agreement for university employees in salary group A1 is currently Euro 5,321.7. The willingness to pay above collective agreement – depending on qualification profile – is given.
The application must be accompanied by a written concept for the positioning and further development of the major in the advertised field of study (max. 7 pages) as well as a curriculum vitae, letter of motivation and list of publications.
Interested parties please apply by 29 October 2021 to: www.akbild.ac.at/jobs
The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna strives to increase the proportion of women and strongly requests applications from qualified women. Furthermore, the Academy strives to create application and working conditions that are as accessible as possible. In this context, the Academy actively supports the application of people with disabilities. Applicants can contact the Human Resources Department or the Academy's disability representatives in advance. Applicants are not entitled to compensation for travel and accommodation expenses incurred in connection with the admission procedure.