Position/Job Title : Conservator
Organisation: Singapore Art Museum
Job Location: Heritage Conservation Centre and Singapore Art Museum
Reporting to: Head of section / Conservation Services
Working Hours: 8.15am to 5.30pm
Contributes to the smooth operation and delivery of exhibitions, loans and events of Singapore Art Museum (SAM), as well as other requirements as assigned from the Heritage Conservation Centre (HCC), in assisting with conservation related tasks and activities (operational and administrative) by coordinating with both internal and external parties involved in accordance to procedures and project timelines.
Relevant in-house trainings will be provided to successful candidate.
Description of collections and work location:
Artworks and artefacts are part of the national collection and are under the custody of NHB. The collections include socio-historical, cultural, ethnographic, modern and contemporary artwork materials.
The conservator will mainly work at HCC on 32 Jurong Port Road and at SAM on 71 Bras Basah Road, Singapore 189555 according to project needs.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Carry out conservation assessments, documentation and treatments on artworks and artefacts according to HCC procedures, instructions and guidelines for exhibits, loans and events for SAM.
• Coordinates meetings, preparing agendas prior to meetings and notes/minutes of meeting.
• Provide advice on preventive care, specialized mounting techniques and environmental settings for short or long term display of artefacts/artworks.
• Review temporary and permanent display at SAM upon request to ensure stability of artefacts and eventual maintenance needs.
• Provides advice on transport, handling and display requirements whenever necessary.
• Performs and assists in exhibition related tasks such as packing/unpacking for installation/de-installation
• Any other ah-hoc duties and projects assigned.
• May be involved in conservation study or research projects.
• Candidate should have a recognized degree (bachelor’s or honours) or a Master’s degree in Conservation, with 6 to 8 years of relevant practical experience.
• Ability to carry out comprehensive treatments with a high degree of manual dexterity and aesthetic sensitivity.
• Familiarity and experience with cultural materials in South East Asia, modern and contemporary artworks will be advantageous.
• Possess initiative with ability to multi-task, organise and prioritise work in given timeline.
• Possess a wide exposure in handling multi-cultural materials with sensitivity and demonstrate relevance in making sound contextual judgements in applying conservation principles and practices.
• Ability to work unsupervised as well as being a cooperative member of staff.
• Ability to adapt in a multi-lingual and multi-racial environment.
• Keep up to date with current conservation development through self-directed learning and training. Evidence of continual professional development is strongly desirable.
Interested in this position? Please contact:
Wendy Lim | Senior Manager, Human Resource | Singapore Art Museum
DID + 65 6697 9743 | 61 Stamford Road, #02-02 Stamford Court, Singapore 178892