Chief Conservator/Deputy Director (Conservation Services), Heritage Conservation Centre
The Heritage Conservation Centre (HCC), an institution under the National Heritage Board, is the repository and conservation facility for the management and preservation of Singapore’s National Collection. HCC plays a leading role in heritage conservation in Singapore, and focuses on three main objectives. Firstly, set and maintain high professional standards in heritage conservation; secondly, improve accessibility to the National Collection; and finally, disseminate and share with the public our knowledge of heritage care. By leveraging on our expertise in the areas of conservation and collections management, we hope to expand our role in the heritage sector beyond Singapore, into the region.
You should be an experienced candidate with strong managerial, leadership and communication skills to lead the centre’s Conservation Services Department. Reporting to the Director of HCC, you should have a significant record of professional accomplishments which would include publications and research. Bringing vision, expertise and energy, you shall anticipate HCC’s future needs and design effective systems for meeting these needs with regard to conservation and care of the National Collection.
If you think you have what it takes, we love to hear from you.
- Set out the strategic directions for the department;
- Identify, map and execute the mid and long term strategic thrusts and action plan for the development of the department;
- Oversee the operations of the department and manage administrative duties related to resource management, operational policies and procedures, and staff development;
- Determine the standards and procedures for the care of the National Collection within the centre, in exhibitions and on loan, and serve as HCC’s chief spokesperson on conservation issues;
- Mentor and build capabilities of the conservators in HCC;
- Establish and foster work relationships and exchanges with NHB institutions, and any other relevant institutions and organisations in Singapore and internationally; and
- Assist in the development of the centre’s conservation training/outreach programmes.
- At least 12 years of working experience in the conservation field with at least 5 years in a leadership or supervisory role;
- Experience in working in a museum or institution and managing a conservation team of 30 to 40 persons that handles a wide range of materials;
- Good track record and considerable exposure to organisational development and management functions as Chief or Principal Conservator will be preferred;
- Strong project management skills; self-disciplined and a self-motivator with strong leadership skills
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and enjoy the challenges of working among technical experts; and
- Strong interest and passion in developing conservation preservation of cultural heritage as a professional field in Singapore and Southeast Asia, in connection with the rest of the world.
To apply, please click HERE to submit your application.
All interested applicants should follow the instructions at the Careers@Gov website to submit their application.
Deadline for submission is 29 Nov 2019.