Call for Papers:
The Art History Department of Case Western Reserve University invites
graduate submissions for its 37th Annual Cleveland Symposium on Friday,
February 25, 2011 in Cleveland, Ohio.
This year's symposium is titled "Matters of Life and Death: Decay and
Rebirth in the Visual Domain." Applicants may interpret this topic as
literally or as figuratively as they would like. Paper submissions may
concentrate on one aspect of the title or examine it as a whole.
Submission examples include:
- The study of life, death, or the afterlife as subject matter
- The "life and death" of an actual artwork as studied through
- Reinterpretation of works due to conservation discoveries
- Analysis of a flourishing or dying art movement
- Funerary art/memorials
- Revolutionary art
- Death masks and death portraits
- The grotesque or macabre in art
- Ephemeral art and media
- The rise and fall of art historical methodologies
We welcome submissions from graduate students in all stages of their
studies and from all fields and geographic regions, ranging from ancient
through contemporary art. We will also consider papers from a wide range
of methodologies and approaches. A monetary prize will be awarded to the
speaker who presents the most innovative research in the most
successfully delivered paper.
Please send an abstract of no more than 300 words for papers of no
longer than 20 minutes, along with a curriculum vitae or résumé, to
email@example.com by December 1, 2010. Please include
"Cleveland Symposium Submission" in the subject line of your email.
Selected presenters will be notified by December 23, 2010.
You are here
Call for Papers: